Your students challenge the scientists over fast-paced online text-based live CHATs. They ASK the scientists anything they want, and VOTE for their favourite scientist to win a prize of €500 to communicate their work with the public.
Students see that scientists are normal people, learn that science lessons relate to real life, and become more enthused about science.
When are the events?
Who’s it for?
So much of the activity is pupil-led (the students ask the questions they want to) so different age groups, ability levels, and backgrounds all get something out of it.
- Primary and post-primary students.
- Special zones just for primary schools.
- High support schools, special schools and other non-mainstream educational settings
- Free for Irish schools
How does it work?
You book a 30 minute live text-based CHAT, where your students interact directly with scientists, ask questions, and let them know their opinions.
Students VOTE for the scientist they think should win €500 to spend communicating more science to the public.
How much time will it take?
We provide all the resources and materials needed, whether you’re running I’m a Scientist with just one class or a whole year group; including suggested lesson plans and modifications to suit different students’ abilities.
We recommend spending at least 2 hours on the event. This will usually be 1 introductory lesson, 1 homework of reading more about the scientists and submitting questions and 1 lesson of live chat with the scientists.
Why take part?
- Students see that scientists are normal people.
- Students are introduced the wide range of careers within science – not just limited to biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Being online gives all students a voice: “The set up allows everyone to have their chance to ask questions, whether they are the loudest person in the class, or the quiet curious student.”
- The students guide the event – they ask the questions and vote for the winning scientists.
- Creates a ‘buzz’ in the classroom.
Do I need any special software or equipment?
All you need are computers with internet access for your students. The live chats are text-based (no video or audio needed) and run through this site.
How secure is it?
How do I apply?
Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page (scroll up) and we’ll email you before each event asking if you want to take part with your students.