I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here is back this November!
During Science Week, from the 10th to 21st November, 20 scientists will be competing for school students’ votes in two weeks of fast-paced live chats and questions on everything from cells, to robots, to space, to pizza.
Let’s meet the scientists and schools taking part…
This zone is funded by the European Society of Evolutionary Biology.
Seán Kelly | PhD Student at Trinity College Dublin
I study the behaviour, ecology and genetics of birds on tropical Indonesian islands to understand how new species form and how we can identify these new species.
Michel Dugon | Lecturer at National University of Ireland, Galway
I have the most exciting job in the world: I study how venomous animals such as snakes, scorpions, spiders or centipedes have developed their venom glands, their fangs and stingers and how they inject toxins (poison) into their prey.
Kevin Healy | PhD Student at Trinity College Dublin
I work on what food T.Rex might have eaten, why stick insects dance, how cats, dogs and other animals see time and why snakes are so poisonous!
Chloe Kinsella | PhD Student at University College Dublin
I am investigating how pollution and climate change affect marine life, particularly those living on the coast.
Anthea Lacchia | PhD Student at Trinity College Dublin
I dig out 300-million-year old critters from rocks around Ireland and give them funny-sounding Latin names.
- St. Olivers Community College, Louth
- St. Farnans Post Primary, Kildare
- Scoil Chaitraona, Dublin
- Mercy Secondary School, Dublin
- Margaret Aylward Community College, Dublin
- International School of Toulouse, Colomiers, France
- Gallen Community School, Offaly
- Colaiste Naomh Cormac, Offaly
- Colaiste na Toirbhirte, Cork
- Claregalway College, Galway
- CBS Thurles, Tipperaray
- Boyne Community School, Meath
This zone is funded by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Nitheen Kaperi | PhD Student at Trinity College Dublin
Tuning Energy levels towards Designing Optoelectronic Devices.
James Sullivan | Lecturer at University College Dublin
I use solids to promote reactions to make fuels from CO2 and grass, and to clean pollution from air and water.
George Dowson | Postdoctoral Researcher at University of Sheffield
Converting greenhouse gases into useful materials, like plastics and fuels, helping to stop climate change.
Francesca Paradisi | Lecturer at University College Dublin
I use bugs from the Dead Sea to help making industrial processes a bit less polluting but still very efficient!
Ahmed Osman | PhD Student at Queen’s University Belfast
I produce renewable, clean fuel for cars from agricultural waste (wood, grass, …) using catalysis.
- St Columbas, Dublin
- Shimna Integrated College, Newcastle
- Santa Sabina, Dublin
- Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, Kerry
- Mount Sackville Secondary School, Dublin
- Loreto Secondary School, Kilkenny
- Laurel Hill Secondary School, Limerick
- John the Baptist Community School, Limerick
- Gael-Choláiste Chill Dara, Naas na Riogh
- Colaiste Bhaile Chlair, Galway
Beryllium Zone | A general zone for post-primary schools
This zone is funded by the Wellcome Trust.
Triona O’Connell | PhD Student at Dublin City University
I look at the sugars that coat the surface of cells, and try to see if changes in the sugars can tell me if the cell is about to die.
Shikha Sharma | Postdoctoral Researcher at Dublin City University
Instant Diagnosis from a tiny drop of blood…. Right-here-Right-now!
Kevin Motherway | The Environmental Protection Agency
Environmental scientist who has put out underground fires, found water supplies for towns, prevented a wind farm from falling into a cave system and who still cant believe he gets paid to play at science all day.
John Wenger | Lecturer at University College Cork
Air Pollution: What is it and where does it come from?
TBC | …
- St. Mogues College, Cavan
- St Vincent’s Secondary School,
- St Mary’s Grammar School Belfast, Antrim
- St David’s CBS, Dublin
- Santa Sabina, Dublin
- Presentation Secondary School, Kilkenny
- Presentation de la salle, Carlow
- Our Lady’s Grammar School, Down
- Malahide community school, Dublin
- Inver College, Monaghan
- Eureka Secondary School, Meath
- Dominican College, Galway
- Colaiste Mhuire Co-Ed, Tipperary
- Colaiste Chilliain, Dublin
- Colaiste Bhaile Chlair, Galway
- Beaufort College, Meath
Boron Zone | A general zone for primary schools
This zone is funded by the Science Foundation Ireland Discover Programme.
Victoria Simms | Lecturer at University of Ulster
Finding out about how young children learn about numbers and the special thinking skills that help them do this.
Lydia Bach | PhD Student at Queen’s University Belfast
I am catching, collecting, counting and dissecting fish, crabs, worms and other crawly creatures, to study food webs – who eats who – in seashores across the UK.
Eoin Carley | Postdoctoral Researcher at Trinity College Dublin and L’Observatoire de Paris
I study enormous explosions in the Sun’s atmosphere and how they impact the Earth.
Ciaran O’Brien | PhD Student at Teagasc Moorepark, Fermoy and University College Cork
I look at what bacteria live in your gut and how they affect everything from your weight to your allergies to your moods, as well as looking into how to turn them into health-promoting foods.
Áine Broderick | PhD Student at National University of Ireland, Galway
I look at the air and dust in people’s homes before and after they try to make it warmer (i.e. insulate the home).
- St Brigids PS, Kildare Town
- Scoil Naomh Lorcain, Athy
- Scoil Mhuire, Brierhill, Galway
- Scoil Ailbhe, Tipperary
- Our Lady of Mercy P.S., Sligo
- Our lady of mercy GNS, Tipperary
- Newport NS, Mayo
- The Kindezi School, United States
- Gortnahoe N.S., Tipperary
- Camden Community Charter School , New Jersey, United States
- Bodyke NS, Clare
- Ardfert Central N.S., Kerry